Thursday, February 25, 2010

"New Music" script

I just thought of a script (can't test it at work so I'll actually write it later, but it'd be only a few lines long). Would work thusly:
Desktop>newmusic britney_spears_leak_trance_remix.ogg ~/music/various/
It would act like mv, just move the song over to the "various" directory, but it would also add a symlink to
~/music/new/
That way, I'll remember to give it a listen. And when it's no longer novel I can just delete the symlink. Otherwise this crap gets accumulated on my Desktop. Maybe happens to you too.

Maybe it could be made into a Nautilus script or something, but that seems a bit more tricky if you're dealing with drag n drops.

2 comments:

Jordan Wilberding said...

Do you listen to your music on the command line? I achieve the same thing you want, but through playlists.

Dan said...

I actually listen with Music Player Daemon usually, which can be commandline. I guess I could make a "new music" playlist, not a bad idea. I don't tend to make playlists so far though. Anyway, can you make a script to move the file and put it on the new music playlist?