Monday, February 11, 2008

Feed Getter

I've mentioned in a previous post an RSS aggregator that I'm working on. It's tentatively called Feed Getter. I'm putting it up now because it's usable, and it would be nice to get feedback from anyone that wants this kind of thing. Here's the pitch:

I can't find any RSS aggregators that just save the files I ask for. I don't want a program to download and play my podcasts for me, I just want the files on my machine, where I ask them to be, so I can view and play them with my usual programs. I want it to be automated, I don't want an interface. This is especially useful for automated things, like a desktop background changer. If you agree, Feed Getter may be for you.

Now, it's in early stages, but it gets your files for the most part. The biggest issues: a) It gets files again, even if you have them already. I do this because I'm not sure if files on your machine are incomplete or not, so I assume they're incomplete and get the whole thing over again. The solution is to write to a temp file, and do an atomic copy to the main file only when it's done. That way I'm sure that if it's in the main file, it's complete. This will probably be in version 0.2. b) It doesn't delete old files. Probably version 0.3.

Now, at this point I don't run this as my main user, and I especially won't once I start deleting files, and you may consider doing the same. I want to make sure that my code regarding restricting file creation/deletion to certain paths is safe before I do. If you're interested in using this program, and you're experienced in path safety in python, maybe you could review my code.

So Here it is. Check it out, let me know what you think.

No comments: